The patch automaton can easily perform OS updates (TL and SP updates within the same major version). The patch machine performs the following steps one after the other:
- Unmirroring the rootvg to get a free hdisk.
- Using the freed disk to create altinst_rootvg.
- Removing all fixes from altinst_rootvg.
- Updating the OS on altinst_rootvg.
- Installation of fixes for the new OS version.
- Changing the bootlist to point to altinst_rootvg.
- Reboot of the system.
The patch automaton is modular, the steps may also be performed individually, own additional steps can be executed as well .
In the simplest case, with the availability of a properly configured NIM server, the OS update only consists in starting the command AIX_update without any further arguments. The machine then searches for the latest available OS level (same major version) and updates to this version.
AIX-Talk: AIX Patch Automaton
- Demonstration of the AIX Patch Automaton