2. Introduction to the LPAR tool
The LPAR tool is a command line based tool for the simple administration of PowerVM environments. PowerVM environments of any size with multiple HMCs and any number of managed systems can be managed. The LPAR tool was developed with the following objectives:
- Ease of use: The LPAR tool should be easy and intuitive to use. Sensible defaults are stored for all commands so that not every detail has to be specified on the command line. This means that even a less experienced user should be able to administer PowerVM without any problems.
- High speed: Most commands take less than a second to execute. This means there is no annoying lengthy wait for a command to be completed.
- Online documentation: All functions of the LPAR tool are documented online. Nothing is more annoying in day-to-day work than constantly looking up information in external documentation. (Of course, there is still a detailed documentation in case the online documentation should not be sufficient.)
- Feature for the PowerVM expert: With the LPAR tool, the expert can dive into the depths of PowerVM.
- Selectable output format: When printing information, in addition to the standard output, output in JSON, YAML or Stanza format can also be selected.
- Use in scripts: The use in scripts for the automation of processes is very easy.
The LPAR tool can be installed on one or more systems. Since the LPAR tool uses OpenSSH to communicate with the HMCs, an SSH connection to the HMCs must be possible from these systems. The LPAR tool is available for the following operating systems:
- Linux x86
The following manuals are available from the download area https://powercampus.de/download:
- LPAR-Tool 1.6.0.x What’s New (PDF)
- LPAR-Tool 1.6.0.x Getting Started (PDF)
- LPAR-Tool 1.6.0.x User Guide (PDF)